day 5 and i see signs of life -- so eggcited!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rnorris1234, Aug 26, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    This is my first attempt hatching eggs and I'm using a very cheap home made incubator. I candled the eggs and I saw one with a little black jelly bean shape with spider web veins! On the second one, I'm pretty sure I saw some faint veins, and the third -- don't see anything yet. I'll check again in a couple of days. So very excited and IO thought I'd share with someone who wouldn't think I was nuts.
    These are bantam cochin eggs.

Robert

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    woohoo lets hope the mack it

3. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    What kind of light did you use to candle it? I am having a hard time with mine. Its day 8 now and i candled them today but i can"t see through my EE egg and my RIR eggs are very hard to see as well. I"m using a huge spotlight with a tissue box over top of it with a smaller hole in the box. should i be using a special light????

4. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I checked again tonight in a dark room and I saw clear development in all 3 eggs!
    I am very low tech in my technique and this is the first time I've ever hatched eggs or candled them. I used what was handy. I have a small lamp that uses a night light bulb as the heat source in my incubator. I took a roll of toilet paper and placed the egg on top of the hole. I can gently squeeze the TP to shape around the egg. I thn place the TP over the little night-light light bulb and it really worked great!
    The cochin eggs are a light tan color, so it might not work as well for darker shells. I also had to keep turning the egg until I found the right spot. but when you find it, it is really clear -- a dark jelly bean shape and veins branching out from it.
    I might try it and see if I could even get a picture, but myu camera doesn't do really well in low light, so i might not be able to get a good picture.

5. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    I guess my probem is the type of egg i'm trying to candle. the Rhode Island Red eggs are a darker tanish-red color. and i can't even see a thing when i put an EE egg on the tissue box. but thanks! i'll keep trying different things. maybe it will get easier as the chicks develope more.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I candled two eggs for the very first time last night. I mean, the first time *I* have ever candled any eggs. Also those eggs' first time. [​IMG]

They are ALSO bantam cochin eggs!!!! I set them 9 days ago.

First egg, nothing remarkable to see, but I don't trust my ability to see anything anyway. la la la la la la

Second egg, a tiny, tiny little egg, and [​IMG] I see veins and a HEARTBEAT!! OMG OMG OMG!

Quickly returned both eggs to the incubator and just stood there, eggscited as all get-out. I will candle ALL the eggs this coming Sunday.

OMG. There is LIFE in that egg, for sure!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by