Day 5 ~ Can't Get Humidity Down Low Enough

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I've kept water in the chamber since incubation began Sunday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a humidity meter until today. The humidity was at 65%. I used a dropper to remove most of the water in the chamber, and I've had the plugs open. I only had one plug, and cannot find the other. Figured if I need it I can make one of cork, or foil.

It's actually quite dry here in central TX, so I don't know what the deal is. Should I be overly concerned this has ruined them? I saw movement today. I want to get it to 50% until day 18. Hope this is OK. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

2. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

you can wick up more water with a paper towel apparently. It is the surface of the water that makes the humidity, not how deep it is, is what I understand. I started a batch of eggs last friday but I have added babyfood jars of water in 3 of the corners. The eggs also let off humidity as they develop, as the air sac gets larger.

I am sure someone with experience will come along, Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Add some rice. They will absorb any moisture.

1 person likes this.
  4. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Brilliant! Thank you:). Do you think there's any harm done?

5. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I cover the water well with a piece of glass and adjust the water surface area to control the humidity. Water depth has nothing to do with humidity transfer, it's an air/water contact thing. You can use anything that is non-porous. I actually use two covers, one large cover that is pretty much stationary and a smaller one that I move around for different water exposure percentages. My humidity stays rock solid where ever I want it.

6. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Ok, I understand now area vs depth. Darn I wish I had something to cover it. I will check my 5x7 frames. It's a 15x15 incubator. I put rice in. Would a hair dryer help?

7. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Use aluminum foil.

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

relax. its only early in the hatch. run the bator dry. leave the pugs out till the remaining water dries up.

make sure your hygro is calibrated also

2 people like this.
  9. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you. It finally dried out. It's about 55%. Don't know how reliable it is. It one of those combo temp/humidity meters from Ace hardware. This morning I'm going to make a wet bulb. I read that if they get too much humidity early on, they grow too fast (absorb too much water) and there's not enough air by the end of incubation. Thank you for putting me at ease. They're all special, but these are extra special to me. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by