Day 5, cracked open egg - Fertility questions with photos

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chook, Jul 23, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I have purchased some pekin eggs and they are at day 5 in the incubator. Most of them look clear when I candled, Does this mean they were not fertile of just did not start developing? & for what reason would they not start developing if they were fertile?

[​IMG]

I have a home made incubator fan forced & turning by hand, temp steady and humidity is 40-45% which is what I normally do and get good hatches. There are 38 pekin eggs and only 4 or so of them are showing any sign of having of developing. I also have 12 of my frizzle eggs in there and 6 of them are developing, 4 I can't see into with my crappy torch and 1 looked clear and 1 with a blood ring. I have purchased a torch and am waiting for it to be delivered.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    hmm for duck eggs I would not have candeled until day considering they incuabte for 28 days. Or at least not thrown out until then...When I was incubating suck eggs I couldnt see much veining until day 7-9 anyway so maybe it was a tad early to chuck?? There are many factors why they wouldnt develope-temps..humidity...etc...I have some of my own egg I KNOW had to have been fertile considering I see them getting mated but poof clear as a bell on day 10 this week [​IMG] I just keep trying I guess..

3. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    These are bantam pekin chicken eggs - I think you call them bantam cochin. Sorry for the confusion, I live in Australia where we call them pekin bantams.

I have not thrown any out yet, they are all still in the incubator.

[​IMG]

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I would still give it to day 10 to be sure.

Were the eggs shipped to you or were they picked up by you? How long were they stored for and in what temps? Were the eggs allowed to settle first? Your pick is through a plastic bag- a bowl or something might have been better, because it's hard to see the bullseye that would denote a fertile egg. I think I see the white spot, I just can't tell if it's JUST a white spot or if there's a bullseye around it because of the shine of the plastic. In one of the first posts here, there is a guide for checking fertility.

5. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    These eggs were around a week old stored in a feed bin. I picked them up, only 20 minutes from home. They sat on my kitchen bench for 3 days turning 3 times a day till I incubated them. There is no bulls eye that I could see and 'yes' I cracked it open in a freezer bag - I am very hesitant cracking any egg that has been incubated - Just in case it was a stinker.

6. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:DON'T BLAME YA!!!! That stink is HARD to get out of the nostrils!!!

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Yep, I don't blame you either for cracking it in the bag, I usually advise it for people who are uncertain. I don't crack them in half inside the bag anymore though- I tap out a crack in the egg and if it doesn't explode in the bag or start pushing fluids out the crack, I take it out to check it in a bowl. I'm still plenty scared of exploding eggs- had ONE explode in my hand and it was so loud I honestly thought someone had fired a gun at my hand. It was a wild bird's egg from a nest we were removing for construction and it scared the living daylights out of me- and for only being an egg the size of my thumbnail, it rose a STINK in that area.

8. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Quote:Could these eggs have been fertile and just not start to develop at all? There is no sign of a bulls eye in the eggs that I have cracked open.

9. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    No bulls-eye, no sperm, is my rule, but I haven't been on BYC for long enough to know if other people think un-bulls-eyed eggs are fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by