1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 5, No Air cell (Toss?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by artathart, Apr 5, 2011.

1. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    What do I do with eggs that have no air cell? Do I toss them or wait till day 7-10? I have about 5-7 that have no air cell at all.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Are you sure? Maybe your just not seeing it.

3. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Also...Left hand very sticky after candling.....Do I have a leaky egg?

4. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Sounds like you might have a leaking egg:(

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    You shouldn't see a air cell yet, wait until day 10. Here is mine at day 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can only see a snall embro and some veins

6. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Those are some really nice pictures - none of my eggs look like that and I'm on day 5.

Some have a dark glob that seems to be moving slowly whichever way you move the egg - some have detached egg cells - some are just completely clear.

No veining at all.

I'm so sad. [​IMG] All 13 of my Ameracauna eggs are duds I'm thinking. I'm going to toss them on day 10 which is this Sunday because it's driving me crazy.

I have 5 Copper Marans which I can't see into the egg so I'm leaving those alone until hatch day or until they smell.

Quote:

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Those are some really nice pictures - none of my eggs look like that and I'm on day 5.

Some have a dark glob that seems to be moving slowly whichever way you move the egg - some have detached egg cells - some are just completely clear.

No veining at all.

I'm so sad. All 13 of my Ameracauna eggs are duds I'm thinking. I'm going to toss them on day 10 which is this Sunday because it's driving me crazy.

I have 5 Copper Marans which I can't see into the egg so I'm leaving those alone until hatch day or until they smell.

Were they shipped?​

8. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Ya, if you can see the yolk floating around and no veins they are probly unfertile. Wait till day 10 to be sure.

9. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Patience is a virtue.

10. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    petunias212 - that dark glob might be a chick eye, give it some time [​IMG]

Higins00 - that looks like a good embryo, great for day 5 in fact [​IMG]. Keep it big end up and drop your humidity to under 40%, the air cell develops with the chick via evaporation. High humidity prevents good air cells, low humidity encourages larger air cells.

artathart - same advice: keep your eggs big end up and use lower humidity. Don't forget to turn them though.

Good luck on your hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by