1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day 5 no signs of life

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs.Puff, May 15, 2009.

1. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    So I've candled my eggs that I got in the mail and I don't see any veins at all after 5 days. I should be seeing something by now, right? One egg has a big ole air cell. I think I can see the yolk just rolling around in some of them. Isn't it supposed to be kinda stuck in one place by now? Should I just start her over on some other eggs this evening? My eggs took 4 days to arrive, even though they were shipped by priority mail.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Don't give up hope - I'd wait and candle again at 10days before you throw anything out. good luck!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I never candle shipped eggs til day 10.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Really? They take longer to grow or something?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    No they don't take longer to grow but usually helps to leave shipped eggs alone as much as possible the first week as they are fragile and development can stop quickly. I candle my own hatching eggs at day 7 and not before. Any I question I mark with a ? mark and candle again at day 14 to see if they have developed further.

6. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Well shoot, I already handled them quite a bit last night. What about one that looks like some air rolling around in it? It didn't show clear like an air cell, but I could see it plainly.

7. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I have some that I couldnt see any veining in at all. I could see the blob, but that was it. it wasnt until I candled a second bunch from someone else that I even realized what viening was (my first hatch) and how it looked.

I still cant see veining in most of these eggs. BUT, I know that at least some of them are doing it, because I dropped one. (LOL ACK...) I think some eggs are very difficult to see veining in sometimes, and day 5 is pretty early (from what I have read... I am NOT an eggspert...)

Most of my first batch is 'hard to see' eggs. even though they are out of all differnt chickens. All of my second batch is easy to see eggs, and they are all out of differnt chickens... Maybe its a differnce in their feed and mineral makeup...??

And they are all mostly brown eggs, with a few whites thrown in and some are darker brown than others...

I hope this made sense.. I just wouldnt toss until they started to stink... honestly... [​IMG]

8. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yeah, mine are "easy to see". I'm not new to candling, just new to shipped eggs! [​IMG]

9. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    oh I could tell you werent new to it with your post count and signature line [​IMG] I wasnt trying to insinuate you were. I was more compairing differnt eggs, the ones from a differnt farm vs yours.. Because my 2 sets of eggs are from differnt farms. If I hadnt gotten the second bunch, I would swear the first bunch were weird.

Having the blob, and all the other signs, but no veining... ??

The only differnce I know of is this woman has other animals, and her chickens freerange. The other woman has no other animals.. ??

LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that I wasnt calling you a newbie, or saying you didnt know what you were doing. I just thought maybe you had a batch of hard to see's like me [​IMG]

10. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    OH no, I wasn't offended at all. I don't see a blob or veins or anything. I'm so worried. The PO took forever getting the eggs to me. Even shipped priority mail!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by