Day 5 of Incubation

Etika

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
I am kind of worried now, I'm not for sure if I got scammed but the eggs seem to only have a yolk, is the yolk supposed to be the opposite direction from the air cell?

The yolk moves around inside the egg, more so in the beginning and less and less as the embryo grows. If you candle an egg from the fat end at the bottom with the air cell down then the yolk will move toward the top of the egg away from the air cell. However, by day five you should be able to see some development. The yolk will be larger than in an unfertilised egg, and move more slowly inside the egg, plus there will be clear veining in a spider-like pattern on the yolk. If you are using a good candler and the shells are not too dark and you DON'T see any veins on the yolk, then the eggs are most likely not viable. However, to be sure I would wait another few days to day 8 and candle again. Are you sure your incibating conditions are correct (temp and humidity)?

The yolk moves around inside the egg, more so in the beginning and less and less as the embryo grows. If you candle an egg from the fat end at the bottom of the air cell down then the yolk will move toward the top of the egg away from the air cell. However, by day five you should be able to see some development. The yolk will be larger than in an unfertilized egg and move more slowly inside the egg, plus there will be clear veining in a spider-like pattern on the yolk. If you are using a good candler and the shells are not too dark and you DON'T see any veins on the yolk, then the eggs are most likely not viable. However, to be sure I would wait another few days to day 8 and candle again. Are you sure your incubating conditions are correct (temp and humidity)?
Yes, my temperature is 102.5 degrees my humidity is 55%, and my eggs are much lighter I don't know if that is bad or not.

Yes, my temperature is 102.5 degrees my humidity is 55%, and my eggs are much lighter I don't know if that is bad or not.
With a temp at 102, I am assuming that you are using a still air incubator, correct? Are you hand turning? When you say that your eggs are lighter, what do you mean?

Yes, I am hand turning, and when I first got the egg's they were heavier than they are now, is that supposed to happen while they are developing?

Eggs do lose weight during incubation, yes but it is usually not noticeable that early unless you are using weighing scales.

Yes, I am hand turning, and when I first got the egg's they were heavier than they are now, is that supposed to happen while they are developing?
The egg will lose weight as it is developing but there should not be much change only 5 days in. Perhaps a couple of grams at most. How did you weigh them? Did you use grams on a digital scale? Anyway, wait till day 7-8 and candle the eggs very carefully. Do it in a dark room with a good candling device, a bright flashlight is OK. Let us know what you see.

I don't candle until day 7, even then sometimes it is hard to see embryos. It is easier at day 10. With shipped eggs, there are even more problems with them as the shipping can damage them. Don't expect all of them to hatch. Even hatching my own eggs, I'm happy if I get over 75%, with shipped eggs, I'd be happy to get anything above 25%.

The egg will lose weight as it is developing but there should not be much change only 5 days in. Perhaps a couple of grams at most. How did you weigh them? Did you use grams on a digital scale? Anyway, wait till day 7-8 and candle the eggs very carefully. Do it in a dark room with a good candling device, a bright flashlight is OK. Let us know what you see.
I will definitely keep you guys updated and yes I used a Digital egg scale to measure their weight.

Back
Top Bottom