1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 5 was a rough one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenmomva, Apr 8, 2007.

1. chickenmomva

chickenmomva Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    Yesterday was day 5 of having baby chicks........it snowed 6 inches......and it was only going to rain and of course the power went out and after an hour it was below 80 in the brooder and when it got down to 75 I said ok gotta do something I even called the power company and begged them to send someone faster to fix lights...........I put my sweat shirt on backwards and put them in the hood with the thermometer and covered up with the blanket and in a few minutes we were up to good temp.......my other relatives had come to our house after the power came on ..........they thought my human incubator was funny it worked in a pinch.........just for a few hours...........the lights came on and off for several hours and when the temp. would dip in the brooder back in the hood they would........I kept them in for 20 minutes or so at a time.........I was afraid they would get dehydrated or something it was a rough long day but you gotta do what you gotta do Right??????????

2. suburbanchick

suburbanchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    What a dedicated chick mom! Gosh, I hadn't thought of that... the power going out. That was a great idea. Bet that sweatshirt smells good. [​IMG]

3. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Woah! Congrats on doing a good job with the chickies, interesting way to keep them warm [​IMG]

All I can say is that for once, I'm greatful Florida doesn't snow!

4. chickenmomva

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    A soon as the power was on in the wash it went...........It will have to be my chicken outfit for later events............

[​IMG]

5. chickenmomva

Mar 15, 2007
    Northern Neck,VA
    The snow was completely unexpected for sure........last week it was in the 80s here and there is still snow on the ground today........my girls out in the coop are all weirded out now they are tip toeing around in they're yard........

[​IMG]

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I'm filing this away in my mental list of 'good things to know'! I bet I wouldn't have thought to do that!

7. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]:lol:interesting????????? thats halarias:clap:ya:lau:lau

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I had to do that with my sweatshirt once when I had an orphaned baby who wouldn't stop crying. It worked great!

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    chickenmomva, way to go on the rescue!

Hope they provide you with lots of eggs in the future, for being so nice.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by