day 5

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Apr 21, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I am on day 5 of incubating some pekin eggs that I thought were fertilized. I candled tonight and they still look the same as the day i put them in the bator. Should I be able to see some veining starting by day 5? Or should I wait a few more day?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Depending on how good the light you are using is- how dark the room..etc.... But you should be able to see something by now - at least the yolk kind of " spreading" if the veins are too tiny to see clearly.
    [​IMG] Sounds like they may not have been fertile after all- but I would give them another two- three days days just in case.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    ^^ yeah that. Dark room, bright light. I use a small LED flashlight and wait until after dark so I can shut off lights and have "true" dark, or I go in the bathroom that doesn't have a window and shut the door. If the light has a weaker "yellow" hue to it, you won't be able to see as well as with a bright, "clear" light.

Day 5 you should see a tiny little dot on the yolk and some veining. A smidge more than clear area and yolk, there should be a little bit of "stuff" on the yolk. But if you have a weak light, or if the room isn't totally dark, you won't be seeing as much as you could be.

4. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thanks. I am using a regular ole flashlight and the room was dark but hubby had the light on in the other room so wasn't "completely" dark. I will wait a few more days to see what happens. When I cracked a couple eggs before these ones, they had the bullseye so i figured these were fertile too.. I will be patient and wait. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Wait a few days and maybe pic up a nice bright LED flashlight. You can find them pretty cheap just about anywhere.

6. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by