1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Day 6 Candle.. couldn't take it anymore! What am I looking at?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjaazzy, Jan 12, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Songster

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    So this is my first time trying to incubate, I am also very new to chickens in general. But I am hooked for sure. I only have 1 silkie hen and 2 roosters. I gathered eggs over a 10 day period. I tried to get as many as I could to put in the incubator. Of the first ones that I gathered, one did not look to good (found it in the yard, it was kinda shinny looking) but I put it in anyway, if it didn't develop nothing lost. So today I candled all of them it is day 6 I couldn't wait any longer... I looked at a chart and decided I should see a solid area. I started with the newest first and moved to the oldest first eggs collected. Well egg one & the last egg I collected, I don't see anything but a speckled shell. The rest I see a solid area that floats around I think I am in good shape with those then the last three I candled I guess is what you call the red ring? they are very solid nothing is moving around. Am I safe to guess these are no good? I am not going to pull them until I candle again but I don't want to run the risk of them exploding either. What do you think about my findings and what day should I make the final decision on the last three. I am too new at this to know for sure.

2. JDchicks

JDchicks Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Hello,

Day 10 is a good day for getting out anything that hasn't developed.

What chart are you looking at?

When I need a comparison, I use the below link, Hope that is what you are looking for.

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=73884.0

3. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Songster

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thank you JDchicks for linking that chart, I had seen it the day before and it is wonderful, it is what inspired me to go in and candle. But the next day I went to actually candle I couldn't find it anywhere so thanks for taking the time to send it over. I guess it will take time to train my eye to see what others are seeing.
    I candled again today, day 8 and I believe 3 are no good the eggs look very solid and I believe it is what they call red ring. The others are very clear but I can see the egg yolk rolling around. I don't really see anything else. I am hoping that those are good and developing. Thank goodness this process is not longer then 21 days! I couldn't take the wait.

4. JDchicks

JDchicks Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
  5. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Songster

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks JDChicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by