Day 6 candling duck eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mich9510, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mich9510

mich9510 Songster

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I have 17 developing duck eggs. 6 Cayuga, 5 pekins and some mystery ducks from an abandoned nest, probably pekins. One is much smaller. It was one I picked up off of the ground, mallard maybe? Anyway, I drew a circle where the air pocket is on each egg. I just need advice on when I should do the next candling.
    Should I weigh the eggs as well? I know that you want the air pocket to get bigger but the weight should go down as well right? How many of you hatchers out there adjust your humidity based on % of weight lost? Also, I have 3 different thermometers/humidity gauges and all three of them say different readings.
    I'm using a little giant so one of the gauges is the one that came with it. Another one is the accuweather digital thatbi got at Wal-Mart, and the third is a dial one for reptiles. How do I know which one is most accurate?

2. mich9510

mich9510 Songster

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Anyone?

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Crowing

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Ok, first, I don't think it's possible to weigh the eggs now. The only accurate to use the weight loss method is if you lay the eggs on the day they were laid. Otherwise you will not know how much weight was lost between lay and now. Especially since they've already been incubated for 6 days. But you can continue to trace the air cells and monitor their growth that way. I will post a pic of what the air cells should look like. If they look larger or smaller then the pic you can adjust humidity accordingly.
    [​IMG]
    As for the different thermometers and hygrometers the only way to know which one is accurate is to calibrate them. This will tell you exactly what the temp and humidity is whether they are accurate or not. I will post links with directions for calibration.
    http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...grometer-humidity-sensor-using-the-salt-test/
    http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by