Day 6 !!!! Do you guys reckon incubating chickens goes fast?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Do you guys reckon time go's fast when your incubating eggs or when your chicken does it for you?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Either way it goes slow... unless your broody does it on the sly and you think a predator has gotten her but then she emerges with a bunch of chicks in tow...

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

The three weeks it takes chicken eggs to incubate seem to last for three years, whether under a broody hen that I'm watching or in an incubator. Lots of time to anticipate the babies! [​IMG]
    It DOES seem to take forever, but I love every minute of it!

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would rather have the hens do it because I can get busy on other things and FORGET about the eggs. With the incubator, I am always checking the temp humidity and turning the eggs. Lordy, I need to get an automatic egg turner !

Afterwards, I love having a hen be in charge of the chicks instead of me! Once again, they know what the right temperature is and they do all the training - here is the food, here is the water, he is the dirt.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Quote:Mine almost did that. Thought I lost a hen but she showed back up 2 weeks later. We followed her and found a nest with 13 eggs. 3 of them hatched last night with another on the way.

I've never used an incubator but then again I am very new at chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by