1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 6 Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaconMommy5, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    So We've been candling each evening. Today is Day 6! It's crazy how much they develop in 24 hrs. We have 17 In the incubator and we have 15 developing nicely. (6 were shipped, 11 picked up from a local farmer) One literally just got the veins today (Nothing Yesterday) and one still looks empty. Tomorrow is when I was told we should take the bad ones out. Do I need to take the questionable one out or can I give it a few more days? I just didn't know if it was super urgent that we removed it tomorrow or if it was fine to give it a little more time. ALSO, I am running dry. No water in it and my humidity is staying 28-34. The air cell looks spot on to comparison charts, So Should I just keep going the way we're going until Lockdown?

[​IMG]
    I'm Not sure why it looks red. Lol.

[​IMG]
    This egg is HUGE compared to all of the others. It's At least twice as big.

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Give it more time, for sure... I don't remove any of mine until day 14 unless they start stinking. Too easy to make mistakes at this stage of the game.

Yes, your humidity sounds perfect. [​IMG]

3. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    Awesome! I've read horror stories about exploding eggs and eggs that caused others to get sick so I just wanted to double check. But I am holding on to hope that he's a late bloomer. Lol. I know I can't expect a 100 % hatch rate. It's our first hatch, A DIY incubator, and there are shipped eggs in it. But That doesn't mean we can't hope! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And With humidity, Should I try adding the water the day before lockdown so we could make adjustments? We have a tube so we could add water during lockdown.

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I wouldn't, it's unlikely there will be pips on day 18 anyway. It's usually pretty easy to get it to 70%. If not, putting wet paper towels over the inside wall of the bator usually gets it up within 5 minutes.

5. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA

I never even thought of that! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by