Day 6 issues...could use advice!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpiritedFarm, Apr 8, 2012.

1. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Snuck a peek at a few of our eggs last night (We set 46 Barred Rock eggs 6 days ago), the few I looked at seemed to be about 2/3 full of a darker color and the darker mass seemed to spin within the egg as I turned it.......not was I was supposed to see right?[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is our first attempt at an incubator, been running at 99.5f and around 50% humidity.

I will candle the others tonight, am finding it a bit tough to see through the brown egg.....

thoughts?

would appreciate any advice or suggestions from you all!

2. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    after about 6 days on a barred rock with my candeling contraption the best way to describe the looks is like a jellyfish at the top of the egg. I don't even look for 10 to 14 days on dark eggs.
    Other to make sure they are not clear like an egg out of the refridgerator
    My RIR/BR crosses are on day8 right now. I'll see if I can candle them tonight and take a picture or two to try to ease your mind a bit.. might even get a few shots of some of my hatches so far this year to spark your excitement. You just gotta love those Barred Rocks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. SpiritedFarm

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Thanks leirob007.
    Do you think the spinning is a bad indicator?

4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

You can sometimes see it fluttering around. I think they are fine is you see something growing.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You need a really bright light when candling dark eggs.

6. SpiritedFarm

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Using a 2million candle power flashlight, covered with cardboard, hole cut in it to fit a toilet paper roll...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by