Day 7 Candling, Eggs Don't Look To Be Developing, Whats Your Opinion? -Pictures-

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a teeny 2 year old Sebright rooster and some very large hens. Black australorp, production reds, and dark brahmas. I have had 14 eggs in my incubator for the past week. 10 are large eggs, and 4 are bantam eggs. I candled them all today and only the 4 bantam eggs appear to be developing.
    The 10 large eggs aren't showing any veins or any sign of development at all.

Heres an example of what most of the 10 eggs looked like while candling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This next egg has a dark spot in it. I think it may just be a meat spot though.

[​IMG]

The next photos are my bantam eggs. They are definitely developing. They were moving a lot in their little eggs. The embryo is very close to the air sac, is this normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Do my large eggs look like duds?

I don't want them to explode in my incubator and cause a hazard to my bantam eggs.
    Should I wait a few more days and then re candle, or should I just discard them now?

Thanks in advance.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd recandle in a couple of days, but doubt that there will be any development. Some bantams learn to hit the mark with large hens, but a Sebright may just be too small. Bantam eggs are developing normally.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for your input.

I had an egg for breakfast this morning and took a picture of what it looked like. This egg is from the same hens who laid the eggs currently in my incubator.

Does it look fertile to you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does have a ring around that white dot.

Thanks in advance.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tried, but couldn't get your picture to enlarge. To these old eyes it only looks like the nucleus without any 'bulls-eye' development. Perhaps someone with better eyes will chime in.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If he has enough banty hens to keep him happy, he may not be breeding the larger hens.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

No bulls eye there

Poor guy.

Sometimes size matters

1 person likes this.
  7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Looks infertile to me.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When comparing the candled lg eggs to the banty eggs, it looks like they are a no go. (but you could give them to day 10, then give them the heave ho if no changes.) The breakfast egg looks infertile.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When comparing the candled lg eggs to the banty eggs, it looks like they are a no go. (but you could give them to day 10, then give them the heave ho if no changes.) The breakfast egg looks infertile.

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Yesterday was day 10 and I candled a couple eggs. Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These eggs are brown, so not as easy to candle as the white bantam eggs. I did not see any veining on these three eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by