Day 7 Candling Photos - Feedback please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oochygoochygoo, Apr 12, 2012.

1. oochygoochygoo

oochygoochygoo New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    This is my first time incubating eggs. I'm using a homemade incubator and started out with 4 eggs - 1 is brown, the others range from olive to light blue. I candled them at about 2pm... tonight (4/12) at 9:45pm would mark Day 7. This is also my first experience candling. All of the photos I've seen here have been helpful and so I wanted to contribute what I can to the community as well. These are unedited photos and I know they aren't exactly focused as well as some of the others I've seen, but here they are nonetheless!

I was hoping to get some feedback from those of you with more experience. Specifically with eggs 1 and 2.

Egg 1: I'm not sure if this is an early quitter or if it is just difficult to candle through the brown shell.
    [​IMG]

Egg 2: Pretty sure this one is clear.
    [​IMG]

Egg 3: This shell is shaped slightly irregularly, but I could clearly make out the spider like embryo and network of blood vessels.
    [​IMG]

Egg 4: This one I could clearly see the embryo & blood vessels - I even saw movement!
    [​IMG]

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I tossed a bunch that looked like #2 today and ours have been in 8 days.
    My duck eggs at day 7 had lots of stuff going on.

There is a line on the left side of #1. Not sure what that is from the pic. I'd save it and check in a couple more days.

3. yasmin

yasmin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Birmingham uk
    I put mine in on the7/4/12 I put in 4 eggs and one of them is a double yoker I have candled them today and they look like the ones you have shown. so that has put my mind at ease thanks!

4. DoodleLydoo

DoodleLydoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    The first one looks like it is starting a blood ring. The second one looks clear and 3 and 4 look good.

5. oochygoochygoo

oochygoochygoo New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, after candling this morning I think you are right. What was previously a "c" shape in the first egg is now a very defined red ring with nothing happening in the center. Egg 2 is still clear. I pulled them out. Fingers crossed for the remaining two! Thank you!

Katie

6. Sprinkles212

Sprinkles212 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Louisiana
    Doesn't number 4 have a blood ring as well or am I the only one who sees that? Number 3 looks like the only winner to me. How did it all work out?

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This thread is five days old so by now you should have a much better idea of what's what with your eggs.

For any but white eggs I highly recommend waiting until day ten to candle. You will be able to see much more clearly what is going on inside.

Based on the photos you posted I would hazard a guess that picture one is a beginning blood ring. Picture two is clear. Picture three is developing. Picture four is a blood ring.

But at only seven days for colored eggs it's too early to be certain. Day ten is much better for determining clears, blood rings, and development in other than white eggs.

The eggs are twelve days old so by now you should know pretty well.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with A.T. Hagan. I never candle before day 10. All eggs don't start developing at the same moment. Many of my hatches start one day and some hatch on the next day. You could be tossing good eggs out that are just not as developed. Most of my hatches now I don't even candle until I set them for hatching and I mark the ones I not sure of and toss the ones that are definitely not developed. I have had some of the marked eggs hatch even on day 23 or 24.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Actually, the thread is over a month old now. But, I agree with the others on development.

I can't say that I never candle before day 10 because I'm rather obsessive about candling. I don't throw anything away before day 10 though.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Oops, you are right. I misread the date. He should definitely know what's what by now! :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by