Day 7 candling Science lesson for kids~graphic pics added

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
We are making up our science lessons as we go along. Mostly because I have had the hardest time finding Science books, but partly because we are right now studying alot of what my kids are actually interested in.

Right now, that's chickens.

So we are studying embryology, and the science of hatching eggs. Each child has their own egg in the 'bator.

Now I have some of my own in there, too.

Today was day 7, and we candled the eggs. I took each kid with their egg into the bathroom (darkest room of the house) and had them point to the air cell, veins, and to explain in their words if they could see a chick or not. The squeals of excitement when they saw their chick moving around was so much fun!!

After candling their egg I gave them a sheet of paper that I had drawn an egg on. They then had to draw what they saw when we candled the eggs, including the aircell, and label the parts. (i.e. air cell, veining, chick) They were so excited about this part of it!

I went on to candle the frizzle eggs of mine and found one with an obvious blood ring. I could see no signs of life, and the veining was nothing like in their eggs where the chicks were swimming around.

I saw an opportunity for a visual aid of an undeveloped chick. Yup, I cracked that egg open! It had obviously died around day 4 or 5.

The kids were very fascinated seeing a chick embryo. I was fascinated to see it was encased in a "bag of water" much like a human baby is. We could also see where the chick feeds from the yolk. My kids were so thrilled with this. They turned their egg drawings over and drew a picture of what the embryo looked like.

Now I took pics, of both the egg during candling, front and back of the embryo, and what the embryo looked like with all the water and yolk rinsed off.

Would anyone like to see the pictures?

This is a pic of the frizzle egg with the blood ring.
14550_100_1843.jpg

This is what the inside of the egg looked like after cracking it open.
14550_100_1854.jpg

The following pics are pretty self explanatory.
14550_100_1857.jpg

Back view of embryo
14550_100_1872.jpg

With the yolk rinsed off
14550_100_1876.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, pictures please. I always open my eggs that stop developing. I find it fascinating to be able look at the unknown.
pop.gif

needmorechickens! :

Great job Aly, I know your kids will remember that experience for a long time.
~Rebecca

Yes, I think they all will. My kids are 9, 7, 5, 3, and 2.5 months LOL

The oldest 4 all got in on this lesson today. And my 3 year old, five hours later, was describing the entire lesson in accurate details to his dad! I was so shocked! He even explained about the "dead chick in the egg" and "we cracked it open".
th.gif

That's a really cool project. I'm doing a similar project with my daughter. Her science teacher said she could get extra credit.

I will have to show her these pics tomorrow. She will love to see them.

Hi Aly!
I'm impressed you were able to to do that It's all in the name of science and is a great learning experience (and not just for the kids).
I cannot bring myself to open 'started eggs' like that. I can't bear half-formed embryos. I only crack-out clears at Day 6 or so and the ones that stop after Day 18. Honestly, I've tried and opening the ones in-between give me nightmares. I can look at your pic, but if I opened that egg here --- I'd be guaranteed nights of horrific dreams.

Wow! You have 5 children! I'm in awe.
I'd enjoy seeing 'what they drew' that they saw in the egg after they candled.
I hope Dad was totally impressed with the retelling.

Thanks for giving your children a view into what most people never see.
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom