day 7 dark mass - bacteria? Updated with more pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crunchynut, Mar 30, 2011.

1. crunchynut

crunchynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    I have Ameraucana, BCM and Olive Eggers in the incubator. I can't see into the BCM or Olive ones at all with my LED flashlight, so I only candled the Ameraucana. A couple of them have large dark masses in them, but also have veining too (can't see veining in this photo, saw it from another angle) - here's a photo (not great, I lightened it up a bit in photoshop to show the area better). It is kind of like a dark cave shape - with a U shaped area in front that is light and then dark all across the back of the egg. Does that make any sense?

Is this bacteria? Something else? I didn't see any blood rings

Do I hold off another few days and candle again to make a decision?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd wait several more days, but no, it doesn't look right. I have had some awful looking eggs hatch though. Mark it ?? and give it a few more days, watching and sniffing it carefully along the way.

3. Burning Beard

Burning Beard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Not to hijack crunchy's thread but ranch you mentioned "sniffing as you go". Being as green as I am with incubating eggs, can you actual smell a bad egg or were you making a funny?

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    You can actually smell a bad egg.

5. f8thnjc

f8thnjc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Quote:Good advice! Also, I did have one (brown) egg that did look like that until day 8 or 9. No real definition til then. Keep an eye on it.

6. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Boy , I dont know...that looks litle like veining in there. can you get a side shot and top shot off to the side? I would giver it a few more. might have developed quicker than others.

7. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Here is the veining, seen when I candled from the top (large end).
    [​IMG]

Here is the back 'side' of the egg (opposite to the very first photo I posted)
    [​IMG]

I don't notice any smell from it, so I guess I'll leave it in still just in case it is good. But I'm still really curious about this big mass - could it really be a quickly developed chick?

8. crunchynut

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
  9. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    It looks like it's still alive but has a ruptured air cell. I've had those before and the chick fully developed but never hatched and quit sometime towards the end.

10. Twoheadedrooster

Twoheadedrooster Out Of The Brooder

I've got 4 like that in the bator right now. I can see movement in two of them, but not the other two. They've been that way for 4 ot 5 days now. Maybe I should toss the 2?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by