Day 7 & Day 5, was attempting a dry hatch... what should I do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chellebyerly, May 13, 2009.

1. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I am in SOuth East TExas. its humid here. like to the point of 'if you get thirsty, just go out and wring out some of the air' humid-- my house stays at about 43%.

Well, I have a cabinet 'bator. I was attempting a dry hatch. And the first 2 or so days I was able to keep it in the mid to low 40's.

then, my water holder (using a baking pan) sprung a leak and soaked the particle board inside. This spiked me into the high 50's to mid 60's. I got it down, and the 60's was only for about an hour, but I cant get it back to the mid 40's. I stay in the high 40's or on 50.

No matter what I do. I have the new pan COMPLETLY covered with tinfoil except maybe an inch, STILL its high 40's.

what would you do?

and what should I bump it up to on day 18 to avoid shrink wrapping?

I candled, and I have 23 eggs at day 7, all but 3 have an air sac and a black blob. these are too dark to see veins in all of them, only 3 were totaly clear.

I have 18 eggs at day 5, all have air sacs, blobs, and good veining. (these are lighter and thinner I think, easier to see in. Plus, they were done last, so I knew more what I was lookin for ) [​IMG]

2. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    ?

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Are you adding any water to your bator? If so, take it out. You probably have enough humidity in the ambient air. I'm in Florida and I never add any water unless the humidity drops below 25% in the bator. Then I put in a very small cup of water...no more than 2 inches across the top of the container and that will usually bring it up to around 28-30%. If it goes up higher than that, I take the container out.

I don't increase the humidity in my bator until my first pip. Then I bring it up to around 50%...again by adding a slightly larger container of warm water.

Good luck...you'll be happy dry hatching. [​IMG]

4. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Thanks for answering. [​IMG]

they are on day 9 and 8. (I was wrong before, sorry)

One day I DID run out of water in there, it went down to 23%. (I was gone for about 3 hours, came home, it was at 23%, it had been 47% when I left)

So, you think I should take out the water this late in the game (and put it back on day 18 for hatch #1 , that would be Day 16/17 for hatch # 2?)

Right now I am sitting at 99.4 and 50% humitity.

OR is my bator just determined to do a wet hatch adn I should leave it like it is? LOL

5. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    And they are alive still. or at least a few are. I just tried to candle one, dropped it and it cracked wide open. ;(

BUT, I candled another and its good.

6. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    ??

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    This is why I have joined thread killers anonymous....

I have managed to kill my own thread...

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I would think at 50 is fine just dont let it go aove that until the last 3 days when you bump it to 70 ish

9. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    what is dry hatching??

10. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I don't have any advice on humidity, I just have a thermometer, and then I cross my fingers when I add water. BUT I enjoyed your blog!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by