1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 7 on Incubating ,can I add some more eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Julie's Silkies, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Julie's Silkies

Julie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I ordered 2 sets of eggs off ebay and didnt get the others until 7 days later, is it to late to add the other eggs .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    You can add but should get/make a hatcher so the increased humidity during hatch doesn't affect your later eggs.
    Krista

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    its a pain in the butt, but can be done !!! I wouldnt up the hum till about day 20 and even then wouldnt up it more than 60-65 and then after the first hatch you will have to get the hum back to 35-40ish so the others dont drown !!! My last hatch was staggerd and what a pain, I wont do that again.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I will add that I did have a hatch recently that was one day behind the first, a lot of my eggs that were a day behind seemed to have drowned. I got a great hatch from that same person after this so it was definitely an issue on my end. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but to throw a hatcher together is real easy, only took me 30 mins and about $30, it was similar to miss prissys bator.
    Krista

5. Julie's Silkies

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    My hatch date is the 16th, Do you think it will be ok to wait until then, I have heard that the eggs can sat for 3 wks as long as you turn them.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I wouldn't, hatch rate goes way down by 3 weeks, and that coupled with the fact they are shipped just isn't a good idea. JMO
    Krista

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    No 3 weeks is to long, 14 days is just about all !!!! Since you either put them in or loose them, unless you build/buy another bator. I would put them in with the others and do like I said, I pretty much dry incubate and have had great hatch rates doing it this way !!! Day 1-18 keep hum at 30-35(add a little water if you go below 30) since you will have younger eggs in there like I said I wouldnt up the hum till about 20 (19 if you see pips on the eggs) so day 19-20 up the hum to about 60 (it will go up on its own after you first chick hatches, try to keep it stable), after they hatch get it back down to 30-40 as quick as you can.

Let me know if you need anymore help, good luck and keep us updated !!!

8. Julie's Silkies

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Ok, what about putting in the nest with some other eggs. My silkie just layed two eggs, but she's not sitting, If I was to take the eggs and put them with hers, Do you think she will sat, She just started laying, :|

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    nope if she is not broody shes not going to sit, and if she just started laying chances are she wont be broody for a little while !!!!

If she was broody or you have a broody hen that would be ok, I think you will be ok putting them all in as long as your hum is on the lower side, I just did a hatch that was 4 days apart, hatching my last 1 tonight and its been a 100% hatch, with 1 wrong end piper !!!

10. Julie's Silkies

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Thanks for your help. I think i will just put them in the incubate and see what happens and hope for the best.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by