Day 7 on my Serama eggs-Candling :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I candled all 12 and FIVE are clear. Four are suspicious, three look good. Dancing dark blob, lots of veins. I am really bummed.

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    seramas r a very hard breed to hatch. what is ur humidity and temp settings for them and what day r u on? we had to do stuff different with them when we hatched them or most died in shell before hatch and/or during incubation.

i'm hopeing my girls start laying soon and i start to get fertile eggs in the next few mths. they r getting about that age to start. [​IMG] my friend hatched his 2 weeks before mine and his started a week or so ago. [​IMG]
    silkie

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My eggs are on Day 7, and my temp is 101.3 at the bottom of the egg- 102.2 at the top. My humidity is at 45%.

I havent opened the incubator once until I candled, they are in an automatic turner. The five that are clear look like they never ever started, like they are infertile. [​IMG]

[​IMG] laying vibes for your girls...heh heh...one of YOUR show girls got stuck in flypaper yesterday, and wrapped up in a rose bush. You could hear him squawking down the road! (By the way, of the six eggs, both that hatched out show girl and at least two of the silkies are boys...strong chicken testosterone!!!)

4. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i'll have to ask dh what settings we used, to tired to think right this second. i know the first few times we got 1 or none after we made changes to it we hatched 24 seramas in one hatch i think it was.

i don't candle except for day 14 and day 18 and on those days i pull clears. an egg if it was shipped can have alot happen to it and if x-rayed especially can show clear even if it was fertile. i'd leave them in just incase till day 14 if they r still clear then i would pull them and crack them looking to see if they showed the bulleye, it's really the only way to know for sure.

OMG, to funny yep it must be mine it's going for the roses,lol those r my fav flowers in my gardens. i hope it is alright. [​IMG] how in the world with all that fluff did ya free it from the fly paper?? well usually they hatch out almost all pullets here and i have no idea how so somewhere roos were bound to pop up but holy cow!! i have alot of roos so mabe that has something to do with it. [​IMG]

5. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    lol...I used baby powder.. I had neighbors tell me they heard my chickens cackling yesterday- I said, "No just one stuck to the roses"....

The flypaper was attached up high where they couldnt reach it, but must have fallen down. so I had to dust the poor thing, and try not to let it breathe in the baby powder at the same time. I gave out mealworm treats to make it all better, once he was free.
    Someone is trying to crow- can't catch who it is...I told them they are too young, chill out- wait a few months.

Yep, I left the eggs in- and do let me know when you have eggs for sale. I tried serama at the beginning of this addiction,only had one hatch- and it died a few days later. I sure was hoping for better results this time around.

Time to let them all out of the coop- have a great day [​IMG]

6. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    ya know i had a bantam turken once that crowed at 3 weeks old and i kid u not. plain as day the most beautiful crow and it took me 3 weeks to finally of all the babies to catch him doing it.

i had to sneak to the brooder to catch him and that little turkey would see or hear me and stop. he did it for attention if he couldn't see me or i was gone from the brooder to long. [​IMG] i caught him when he got brave enough to stand on the water to do it. i heard him and looked in the room there was this little NN up out over the top crowing and sure enough burney was caught. [​IMG]

i'll let u know when the seramas come of age u can check my fertility for me for shipping if u want. i have 14 pullets if i remember right so hopefully i'll be able to send ya quite a few once they get laying some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by