Day 7... veining?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I 'm new to incubating... used to using broodies. By day 7, I should be seeing veins, right? I'm not. [​IMG] Very disappointed.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Might be a little early or hard to see depending on the egg color. I would wait until day 10 and check again.

3. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    They may not have been fertile. I'm still pretty new to all of this myself, having only hatched about 7 babies now and I can usually see veining by day 5. But as stated previously, if the shells are dark, you may not be able to tell very easily. Good luck!

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    my brown eggs i never actually saw veining until day 14!!! I ended up seeing a little heart beating before anything else, so i guess depending on the shell color... do u have any others from the same hen you haven't started incubating yet that you could open and see if they are fertile? if they are chances are that the ones you have are too. [​IMG]

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Darker shells are harder to candle. Though you may need a brighter

flashlight if your not able to see anything.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I usually NEVER see anything before day ten. I don't even bother candling before then anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by