Day 7 with large air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shandy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. shandy

shandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    We candled last night at day 7 and noticed the air cells looked large. We are using the hova bator and running at 50-55% humidity which seems fine or even high to me. I'm hesitant to increase the humidity, and don't even know the best way to do it if I do increase it. Humidity went up quite a bit using chamber 1, so I'm kind of waiting for that to dry out and try chamber 2 instead. I wanted to switch to chamber 2 but couldn't figure out how to do that without letting chamber 1 dry up. Does that make sense? Anyway, shall I increase humidity or leave it between 50-55%?
    Thanks!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    50% is high. First, when you candle are you candling down into the air cell from the air cell end. That fat rounded end? Can you either take a pic of the candled egg, or candle, mark the air cell with pencil and take a pic of the marked air cell? A visual would help us, help you. Most people find 50% too high and the result is chicks drowning come hatch time. I would not want to give advice without seeing what you are seeing in this circumstance.

3. shandy

shandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Ohhhhhhh gotcha!!! I was simply candling wrong, from the bottom.. I couldn't see the air cells! They looked pretty good. I think I'll try to get the humidity down a bit... thanks!!!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I thought maybe that was the problem. You're not the first to make that mistake. I'll give you a link for humidity. It has a pictorial in it to compare air cell size. http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by