Day 8- Blood rings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by artathart, Apr 8, 2011.

1. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Please confirm these are blood rings before I toss them. I'm sure I have more but I cannot see thru most of my Welsummer and Maran eggs. What causes blood rings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have about 7-8 like this. Most I cannot tell....

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Looks like blood rings [​IMG]

From my experience is that most are caused by bacteria from touching the eggs.

3. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Thats what I thought :-(

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    If those are shipped eggs, what happens are the embryo gets a start in transit..due to rough handeling and pressure in flight through post office. the embryo cannot attach itself to proper membranes and dies, then the blood begins to pool in a ring shape...sometimes it happens when an egg from your own barn was turned too hard and you dont know your own strength sometimes ..it gives the embryo just enough of a jolt to stop its development..then it will turn into a big pool of dead material and bactieria so make sure to remove it befor that can happen.

sometimes veining and just the way it is being laid out can appear like a blood ring so be careful , that one egg (middle pic) looks like blood ring , ..the top one looks little like an embryo is or was in it might want to give just little more time if your early on .bottom one looks little more like a classic blood ring....I dont think you said what day these are..the top one I would watch little longer. just not sure what day you are on with these pictures.

so top one, little more time, looks like there is something happening around the other side of that egg..middle and bottom look like throw them out.depending on what day you are on.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Exactly what aveca said. Bloodrings are often caused by handling the egg with dirty hands.

You should wash your hands, or use some sort of hand sanitizer before handling, or turning your

eggs.

Top Picture ~ If you can, give it more time. I'd watch for movement. It
    LOOKS like a bloodring, but I've had a few like that, and found out it was just
    some massive veining.

Middle Picture ~ I cannot see this one well enough to give you an answer.
    I'd just look for movement, or indications it's alive.

Bottum Picture ~ Throw it out.

Sorry about your eggs [​IMG]

ScissorChick

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. artathart

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:I always wash my hands prior to handling my eggs. I also wash them after. I am a hand washing freak thanks to OCD So I know its not from me handling them. I already opened all the suspected outs. most were in fact blood rings. A couple which were suspected blood rings turn out to be chicks that stop developing and one was still developing so that sucked.

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I know somtimes bloodrings can happen before the hen even lays the egg.

It's not your fault some things just happen. [​IMG]

Good luck with the rest [​IMG]

8. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    I would keep the first, iffy on second and lose number three.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by