1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 8 Candling Success! I saw the embryo bouncing around!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KirkKoop, Feb 18, 2011.

1. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I am so excited! First time with a broody hen and I candled a few of the eggs and couldn't believe that I could actually see the living, growing baby bouncing around in there! Out of 11 eggs, only 1 is white and was the only one I could see the positive signs of life! Hopefully some of the brown ones are developing successfully too.

I just had to share with my BYC peeps...my other friends just don't get it LOL

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    use a brighter flashlight to candle the darker eggs [​IMG]

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I am on day 8 too. I have brown eggs and they are hard to candle. I saw two chicks bouncing around today. Woohoo Yahoo.

4. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I have tried several flashlights...I guess they just aren't powerful enough. This last time I used a large MagLite and it seemed to work the best so far.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, we SO get it here! Every time I see that sign of life I get such a rush and have to be very careful with my shaking hands!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by