day 8 eggs too dark too candle

LOL, only if they have bacteria in them and are rotten. As long as they aren't seeping anything out of them they should be fine.
big_smile.png

When eggs are too dark to see inside, I leave them but smell them weekly to ensure none are going bad. If an egg is going bad, you'll smell it long before it pops. Good luck! What are you hatching?

Thanks for the suggestion, I was going to ask the same thing. We got an inexpensive incubator from Tractor Supply and the add on egg turner. We have four surviving Khaki Campbell ducks (started with 18, coyotes and cats got the rest), and they started laying. With the hopes of regenerating our flocks now that we've learned that the KC ducks will happily house with the chickens, we started them early in the bator figuring they'll hatch about Feb 1st, and be ready to go out doors around middle of March (just about right for N KY).
Anyway, since we fired up the bator we figured what, and tossed in some Aracana eggs too. We had 5 roosters and 13 hens, and judging from the amount of humping going on, they just HAD to be fertile!
tongue.png

Well, they went in a week ago Sunday and my wife candled the KC eggs with a flashlight, no problem, but the Aracana eggs are so dark, we can't see a darned thing! I was worried about stories of exploding eggs and was freaking out.

So thanks for the smell test suggestion, we'll keep our nose piqued for any 'odd' odors.

FYI - all five KC eggs showed development at 1 week, so we're crossing our fingers. What we're going to do when the chicks reach 21 days and the ducks have a week to go, we're not so sure...

jumpy.gif

Use 2 flashlights. Set the egg on one and spot light the top and sides with a smaller one. Works on all my standard chicken eggs. Even the extremely dark ones. Does not work on button eggs cause they are way too small.

Good idea Akane, I am new also and i have a hard time seeing thru the brown eggs. All I see is a dark blob. I hope this will help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom