Day 8 of first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmer_lew, Feb 1, 2011.

1. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    It is day 8 of our first hatch, and we just candled them. Of the 12, we could only see clear detail in 5. Those are our Sebrights. They are all developing well and moving around in their shells. The other 7, 2 EE and 5 ME (Mystery Eggs), we couldn't see much detail due to the coloration of the shells. They are just too dark for my light to penetrate. But, we were able to determine that they are also developing.

We originally had four TJ eggs, too. But we had to cull them as they didn't show any signs of development at all. So, it seems that we are going to have 12 chicks hatching on Feb 13!

Seeing the chicks moving in the shell was quite amazing! I can hardly wait for the hatch!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Doesn't that just make your pulse race!?!?!

I have to make a conscious effort to still my shaking hands when I put the egg back into the 'bator oh-so-carefully.

3. farmer_lew

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills

I have to make a conscious effort to still my shaking hands when I put the egg back into the 'bator oh-so-carefully.

I know what you mean! I just wish my light was bright enough to see in the other eggs. I am using an LED flashlight that runs on 9 "AA" batteries, and it barely illuminated the insides of the darker shelled eggs. Thinking of getting a maglite.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

I know what you mean! I just wish my light was bright enough to see in the other eggs. I am using an LED flashlight that runs on 9 "AA" batteries, and it barely illuminated the insides of the darker shelled eggs. Thinking of getting a maglite.

Go to Harbor Freight or HD and got one of their little Mag lights. They are undetr 2 bucks and sooo bright.

5. farmer_lew

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Thanks for the info, wolftracks. I live less than a mile from a Harbor Freight, and am pretty close to a HD, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by