Day 8-Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CakePrincess21, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    So I'm finally incubating some eggs in a little giant with fan. This is my first time [​IMG] and I've been looking at many threads to get some info. I was wondering i bought a hydro-thermometer and I'm looking at it right now. It says 44 in humidity. Is that all right? the temp is 100 and it changes to 101. I don't want to move the dial because this was the closest i could get to the temperature i needed. Am i doing all right? [​IMG]

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Yes, you are doing all right. 99 to 101 is a good temp. and 40% to 50% is a good humidity for the first 18 days. It is preffered to have the humidity the first 18 days in the low fortys so your doing great. Good luck with your hatch[​IMG]

3. CakePrincess21

Sep 17, 2011
    My humidity is 37 and the temp. went to 102. Is that alright?

4. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

The humidity is alright, if they are shipped eggs, the humidity is preferred to be higher. The temp seems a little high. 102 is acceptable for still air incubators....but for forced air (fan) incubators, the temp should be 99 to 100. Just put a little more water in there, pull out one of the vent plugs, so the temp drops slightly. The reason you put a bit of water when you pull a vent plug out, is so that big amounts of humidity wont escape out of the incubator. Overall your doing pretty good[​IMG] after adjusting what you need to adjust, check the incubator every 15 or so min. to make sure everything is going well Good Luck!

5. CakePrincess21

Sep 17, 2011
    the eggs are from my chickens, i fixed the temp. to 99 and the humidity is 47 both vent plugs are out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by