Day 8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by debilorrah, Nov 11, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have only candled once and it was much closer to hatch date. So I tried it tonight and I think I could see veins, but maybe not. Hard because most of the eggs are brown. Should I have been able to see something by now??

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    For brown eggs, I usually wait until day 10-12..it'll be much easier to see if they are veining...also, make sure your light is VERY bright...that will also help. Good luck!

3. debilorrah

Oh thanks!!!! I bought a new maglite today.....

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Another tip, make sure your eyes are adjusted to the dark room before you candle. I wait until I stop seeing those lil white spots LOL

5. debilorrah

Quote:[​IMG] The ones I candled before were on day 15 ish.... Those were easy to see which were good and which weren't and they were white/lite in color.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Debi, go to Lowe's and buy you a Surefire 6P flashlight. You can shine that dude through a brick. That's what we use to candle all of our eggs with including the Marans and Welsummer eggs.

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have an 18V flashlight (uses an interchangeable battery with our power drill, so it is POWERFUL). Of course, I didn't check my eggs to long in fear that it is too hot, but at 4 days, I am seeing veining in the yolk area in half of my eggs (some are fridge eggs, so I'm happy with 1/2!). If you can't tell, I am gonna guess it's the flashlight brightness since yours are older than mine. [​IMG]

Check out this link...it is a huge help! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

8. debilorrah

Ok then from those pics I think I am ok, and I think I have one porous egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by