Day 8

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BlueBirdChick, Sep 20, 2010.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Okay Ive noticed within the last few days when I turn my button quail eggs that they are getting heavier not like extreme heavy like lifting a five pound weight hehehehee. But they are getting heavy and Im hoping that is a good sign, I haven't putten them by my ear to see if I can hear a heartbeat but Im keeping my fingers crossed that something will hatch out of these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway only eight in half days to go wooohooooo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Good luck [​IMG]

Mine where supposed to hatch today, maybe tomorrow [​IMG]

What you can do to test if they are developing is float them. Some people don't recommend it, but I did it and other people swear by it.
    Basically, if the egg floats well above the water - it is a dud. If it sinks - it is a dud. If it floats with just a bit above the water and it is rocking and rolling - it is good. If it floats with just a bit above the water, but not moving, it is a possibility. The water must be the same temp as the incubator and must be still.

Neb

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Don't float test until after the main hatch or they have due time to hatch. They could drown.

If you want to learn about the float test. Look in the top sticky at JJMR's thread that a Moderator moved up there. Around subject #3 or #4. THere is all kinds of info on Quail up there in that first sticky.

SO ya, cool in 7 - 11 days you will have liitle peepers running around.

What are you hatching. I forget. Buttons?

4. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    yep baby buttons
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Quote:I'd have to argue with you on that one, Buttercup. If they egg hasn't pipped, the chick is not going to drown. If you are far enough in front of hatching there should be no problem.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yes You Can Float Test Them Now....

They Wont Drown Unless The Egg Has Been Pipped

On The Other Hand, Your Results At The 1/2 Way Mark Will Only Be Duds And Viable, You Wont See And Rocking And Rolling This Far Out From Hatch Day. And Any Viable Results Are Subject To Change Between Now And Hatch Day As Well...

Personally I Would Leave Well Enough Alone, I Don't Arbitrarily Float Test Eggs.... Only When Suspect Or Overdue And Then Thats Just To Make The Decision About Pulling The Plug On Them.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Heavy is a good sign...they get a little lighter when getting ready to hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by