Day 9 candled-What's happening?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buckeye lady, Jan 15, 2009.

1. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Previous days there has been a free floating blob with small dark spot in each egg. Today only 1 egg has free floating blob and all the rest have blobs stuck to one side that do not float. Did they die?

2. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    They don't look like any of those PICS.

3. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    could you try to post a pic of yours?

4. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Songster

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    When I candled mine around day 10 or so, half the egg was just a dark mass (going lenghtwise). Since this was my first hatching experience, I wasn't sure if this was ok or not.

I just put them back in the bator and hoped for the best. When I candled again around day 15, the whole egg looked dark to me and I couldn't see anything. In fact, the only time I saw any movement was during the first week.

Both chicks (I only have an r-com mini incubator) hatched out healthy and strong two days ago!

5. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    Mine are doing the same thing right now too. I have an EE egg under my broody white leghorn. When I candle it (today is day 9) I can only see a dark mass length wise, with a nice air cell at the top. It does have veins but I have yet to see movement. It doesn't smell and it remains warm even after I remove it from the nest to candle. I have a few other in the incubator that have a more classic look. I'm very glad to hear that mine may be okay after all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: