Day eighteen - what's the best way to reduce the humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PunkinPeep, Jul 25, 2010.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It's day eighteen, and no one has pipped yet, and i figure if i'm going to have to take everything out and remove water, now is the time.

Is that the best way?

I have a styrofoam hovabator.

I added water, and when the humidity didn't rise fast enough (to suit my impatience), i put more water, and now it's way too high. [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Have you opened the vents yet? I remove both vent plugs when I go into lockdown so that there is enough oxygen flow for hatching chicks, it also knocks the humidity down a bit at least it does here. I suppose if you live some place with super high ambient humidity that won't work as well. Since it's the start of lockdown not the middle or end you could also just remove some water and remember to wait 6 hours or so before making adjustments next time. Happy hatching!

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, the vents are open, and the humidity is still rising.

I think i should have experimented with the humidity more before i started incubating.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for responding!

4. sumatra

sumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    NW PA
    Pry up the corner or side near a water channel.Put the corner of a rag or towel ( i use a sock) in the water. Put the end of it down into the water. It will wick up the rag (make sure your rag is cotton or somethin absorbant).Put the other end of the rag arond the screen so it is resting on top of the screen. It will take a little time, but when the rag is wet, pull it out and replace it with a dry one (if needed).

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Its OK if nobody has pipped on day 18, they need to pip on day 20 or 21. How high is the humidity? I have never has it too high for a hatch. I have hatched chicks with turkeys at 80% humidity. I do drop my temp to 98.6 for yhis high humidity. Just remembet that high temp and high humidity is the killer. High humidity and 1 deg lower temp will give you a better hatch.

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Sumatra, thank you for your response. Your idea got me thinking. I have my eggs in cartons, so i decided to try tipping it and letting the water out the drain holes. It worked! I feel much better now. Thank you.

Colby, i wasn't worried that no one had pipped yet; i was just confirming that no one had. [​IMG]

The humidity is about 65% right now, but i really want it at 55%. I've been using the dry hatch method that i've read about, and i want to follow it through to the end. But thank you for the tip about lowering the temperature if the humidity is too high. That could come in handy sometime. Hopefully not this time. [​IMG]

Thanks for all your responses. It really really helps to have support! [​IMG]

7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If y'all are still reading, even after i poured the water out the holes, the humidity continued to rise dramatically. I gave it a few hours and finally decided to pull out all the eggs and dump the water. I'm glad i did. Now the humidity is exactly where i want it, and i can add water if i need to.....but only a tiny bit at a time this time. I've learned my lesson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by