Day five...cracked egg...see development...what to do?

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Alaska
I was checking the eggs this morning and because I couldn't resist, I candled a few. Some have shells that are too thick to see through, but one is cracked along the small end. I would have dumped it right there or never set it to begin with, but I see development and veining. Can this egg be saved?

These are not the most precious eggs in terms of breed, but they are precious to my kids. I have 2 sets of eggs in there. They are from the same source and are basically a barnyard mix. 8 were never refrigerated and 9 were refrigerated for 5days at about 38 degrees. The egg in question is one of the refrigerated eggs. I just don't kknow if it is worth it to try and seal the crack (how would I do that?) or just dump it now.

What do you think?

Some people try putting clear nail polish, super glue or melted wax over cracked eggs they are incubating. Doesn't hurt to try.

I have some melted crayon on one of my duck eggs. I didn't realize the crack either until I candled it. Its day 23 and its holding well. Its worth a try. The chemicals in super glue and nail polish may do more harm than good. Something non toxic would be better I think.. Good Luck!!
idunno.gif

Thanks guys!!

I opted for the candle wax, but as a red candle was all I had, it lookalike a massacre happened in there. I candles first and drew an outline around the cracks and then with the lights on I dripped melted wax on the egg. Then I candled again to see ifmi got it all ( I did) and again I saw the most beautiful development. I have guardedly high hopes for this egg.

Thanks again!!

Then this chick better be a pullet, otherwise he will be very special in a tasty sort of way.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom