Day five...cracked egg...see development...what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBrain, Jan 6, 2009.

1. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I was checking the eggs this morning and because I couldn't resist, I candled a few. Some have shells that are too thick to see through, but one is cracked along the small end. I would have dumped it right there or never set it to begin with, but I see development and veining. Can this egg be saved?

These are not the most precious eggs in terms of breed, but they are precious to my kids. I have 2 sets of eggs in there. They are from the same source and are basically a barnyard mix. 8 were never refrigerated and 9 were refrigerated for 5days at about 38 degrees. The egg in question is one of the refrigerated eggs. I just don't kknow if it is worth it to try and seal the crack (how would I do that?) or just dump it now.

What do you think?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Some people try putting clear nail polish, super glue or melted wax over cracked eggs they are incubating. Doesn't hurt to try.

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have some melted crayon on one of my duck eggs. I didn't realize the crack either until I candled it. Its day 23 and its holding well. Its worth a try. The chemicals in super glue and nail polish may do more harm than good. Something non toxic would be better I think.. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I would use candle wax if it was me.....goodluck

5. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Thanks guys!!

I opted for the candle wax, but as a red candle was all I had, it lookalike a massacre happened in there. I candles first and drew an outline around the cracks and then with the lights on I dripped melted wax on the egg. Then I candled again to see ifmi got it all ( I did) and again I saw the most beautiful development. I have guardedly high hopes for this egg.

Thanks again!!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    If she/he hatches she's going to be your 'special' one from now on you know [​IMG]

7. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Then this chick better be a pullet, otherwise he will be very special in a tasty sort of way. [​IMG]

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Quote:Too funny! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by