Day Of The Predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dadsdeercamp, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    THIS MORNING JUST AFTER FIRST LIGHT I WATCHED A GRAY FOX WALK RIGHT PAST MY CHICKEN RUN HE DIDN'T EVEN GIVE IT A GLANCE LIKE IT WAS NOT EVEN THERE. THEN A FEW MIN.AGO A LARGE RED TAIL HAWK LANDED ON ONE OF THE FENCE POST ABOUT 10 FEET FROM WHERE I WAS STANDING. I DON'T EVEN THINK IT SAW ME TILL I YELLED AT IT. IT LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS CRAZY DIDN'T FLY AWAY TILL I MOVED TWORDS IT. ARE HAWKS THAT DUMB OR BRAVE OR WHAT? NO WORRIES THE RUN IS COVERED WITH FENCING. NO STINKING HAWKS GETTING AT THEM. [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    All you need now is a T-Rex [​IMG]

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    A T-Rex? Probably its closest living relatives are inside the pen. [​IMG]

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    That's funny. We had a red fox walk by the other night and also gave no notice to the hens. And hawks, lots of them. So far haven't bothered the girls, but we have been lucky.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, it's the middle of raptor migration season, so hawks will be a problem now. Good thing your chooks are covered up! I'd set a live trap for the fox. He and others will be back to check out the chicken buffet!

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Dora'smom :

A T-Rex? Probably its closest living relatives are inside the pen. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:this is because there is still a lot of "natural " food around when it cools off good and all the fruit is gone they look for meat then. Grey fox eat a lot of fruit red fox are more a "mouser" then most house cats

8. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:LOL try 4 coons, 2 great horned owls, 3 Opossums, 1 yote, several hawks, and a 23 pound bobcat all in a 2 week time frame. was alot of killing going on here in Red dirt Oklahoma needless to say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by