Day old Bantam chicks under broody seem lethargic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by L0rraine, May 19, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    I brought home four 'day old' bantam chicks (Porcelain d'Uccles) for our broody Silkie hen today. She took to them incredibly well and they seemed content to settle underneath her. However, I didn't hear peeps for hours so had to check. They are all fine, but look a little lethargic (I am too after a nice warm nap) but I'm wondering if I need to worry about when she'll take them for food and water. Don't we normally provide that right away if there isn't a broody hen? I'm thinking they've already been a day without food and water during shipping to the feed store. They were energetic and peeping when I brought them home, tho' terribly tiny and uncoordinated. Guess I'm used to ducklings who seem to have bundles of energy almost immediately.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I think I would try to get them to food and water very soon. The hen's instinct to do this may not have been triggered yet, but they are going to need it ASAP.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Songster

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Thanks!, that was my instinct as well, and so I lifted her up and moved them to the food and water where three chicks ate and drank and one didn't. However, the more lethargic one did give eating a tiny bit of a go on the next two tries, but still not interested in water (which I'm sure is crucial). I'm amazed at how docile and gentle the Silkie foster hen is with all of this compared to my insane duck moms. We'll see how we do with water the next time around. I've dipped its beak and put drops of water on it as well, but have not has yet got anything that looks like a drinking response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: