1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day old Black sx lnk pullets

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by jadude, Jun 21, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    I am ordering some black sex links day old pullets. Post the amount you want and i can give you that number for 3 bucks a chick. I am in columbia sc

2. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    I am going to sound really stupid here, but I have only had chicks for a total of 6 weeks now. What is a sex-linked chick?

3. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    A sex link is a chicken bred to be sexed at hatch. The males and females are different colors

4. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Thank you:) I guess anything is possible these days!

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Old idea, actually. It goes way back to the late 1800's/early 1900's.
    Certain breeds, when mated, produce a chick that has unique coloration for male and female, as mentioned.
    For example, mating a RIR male to a Barred Rock female gives a male chick that is black with a light spot on its head. The female chick from the same mating is dark, without the spot.
    This way you can separate the males from the females at birth.
    Great idea for that first mating. But subsequent matings wont breed true to that and you are liable to get almost anything. This is a function of hybrid crossing and holds true for most hybrids.
    There are also feather sexed matings, also sex related, ie, females having faster growing, larger wing feathers than males.

6. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    WOW! I am so glad I found this forum! I have learned so much, and have so much more to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by