1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day Old Bully?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hatrick, May 5, 2009.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Good grief, so one out of my four Barred Rocks has decided to pick on everyone else, almost relentlessly. They're all sleeping and she/he is walking around pecking at everyone. I read about where they peck at each other's beaks but this one appears to be just being mean. Besides a chick naughty spot...[​IMG] What to do? The making's of a rooster already?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Eh, at that age if it's not drawing blood I would just observe. The others may just be too sleepy to care or fight back, in a few days they will be more likely to peck back and it may settle down.

If anyone gets a bloody spot though, you'll have to separate the hurt one to keep the others from pecking it to death. If that happens I would separate the meanie as well as a preventative.

3. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Maybe, it's just more curious about it's world than the others. I don't know if it is a sign of rooness (write it down and let me know if it is though). He/She will eventually tucker out and zonk out for you though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by