Day old chic! I helped hatch. When can I put her back with Mom? - Help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kerrie Ann, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I have a day old chic. I had to help her hatch. Mom accidental stepped on the shell and than when she was trying to help with the shell I saw blood. This is my first time, so I kind of panicked. This chic seems to be doing well. She is eating and drinking from a straw. I tried to put her back with Mom last night, but when I went back she was not near her anymore. She did not hurt her she just was not warming her up. She also has a week old chic in with her and two other eggs she is sitting on.

Help what do I do next.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Very often a hen will not accept the chick again. But you should give it a try. Many people say that you could place the chick under her at night. I haven't tried that yet because I don't want to wake up to a dead chick. But you should try to put it back under her. You said she is still sitting on some other eggs. If she is still brooding on the eggs I think you'll have a very good chance of putting the chick under the hen again. It only becomes difficult once the hen has stopped brooding no the eggs.
    Good luck

3. coolmind1999

coolmind1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    If I were u I'd keep it with me after all its a life and like tim pointed I hate to wake up to a dead chick that could have survived if I had kept it
    But maybe u could sneak it under her if ur not ready for it

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I have great news the mother took her in with np. I tried in the moring. She been following mom all day. All seems good. Keep my fingers crossed.

5. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Great. then you are one of the lucky people :)

6. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    I do have one other question. I feel bad that I have the Mom and the 2 chic in a large dog crate. Is there any way the rest of the hens will take them back in? I wanted to put the crate back in with the rest of the hens. My set up is 2 hen houses and a fenced in area about 30 by 40 feet. I want to allow her more room to move around more. She does have 2 eggs that she has been sitting on as well.

7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Quote:
    Id leave her where she isThey don't like to be THAT near other chickens when they have new babies Want a place to protect them Plus if shes got 2 more eggs I wouldnt disturb her
    Are you letting her out to walk around? That should be enough. Mine kept theirs in the tractor coop far distance from the others or the carrier for a few days maybe a week before she let them out at all.
    Then it was a foot from the carrier or Tractor coop.... just underneath it for a week or so.

8. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Can I let my hen out for a while with out the chicks????

9. TimBaumann

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    I have three large hens who ate all the chicks of my first hens' hatch. So I'd only let them out with extreme supervision by which I mean you would have to follow the hen with her chicks around and chase off all the other chicken. If you have a place where the hen and her chicks would be separated from the rest then you could obviously let them out :) But always be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by