Day old chick and skunk attack - Pictures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by casportpony, Mar 26, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Heard a noise two night ago and found a nest that a skunk got into. Hen and some chicks are okay, but one has a large piece of skin missing. [​IMG] Here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    All the advice I can offer is secure your coop. Sorry to see lil chick hurt. Hopefully she pulls thru.
    [​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks... Not much I can do about the ones that free range and make nests in tall grass except try to find their eggs before they start sitting.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here is a close up of it:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Looks like it will heal. There may be a permanent scar, and no feathers growing there, But not that important as long as she lives.
    YOU KNOW I'M WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks!

-Kathy

7. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Just tore up or does she stink also?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No stink.

-Kathy

9. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Whenever I encounter these guys, I SAY; DON'T GO AWAY MAD !!! JUST GO AWAY.!!!
    [​IMG]
    I NEVER GOT SPRAYED, They never got any of my chickens. I have lost many to raccoons , a few to hawks.

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It just breaks my heart to see a badly injured chick. I had one with a similar injury. She pulled through and is now four years old.

If you aren't sure how to deal with such an injury, and how to care for it, I wrote about it here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/5992343/default/ Scroll down below the photos to read about how I treated the wound. Her photos are in the bunch just above my write-up.

Basically, you don't want it to get infected. And you don't want to let the wound dry out. My chick was doing fine, the wound was closing up, but I got careless and let it dry out. The healing came to a halt, and only finished when I resumed proper care of it.

If you have any questions I can answer, just ask.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by