Day old chick, can they eat this?

If you think it's too large, you can grind/crush it for them. I used a spice mill for my bantams. A mortar and pestle would work, too. Or, heck, put the crumble in a plastic baggie and smoosh it with something heavy. They *should* be fine with it. And they'll grow do fast they will be able to soon regardless.
I did that with my last order.

Yes, please dont. They seem really young. (You can when there a tinsy big older, and when weather is balanced, if you do though, you must watch the, carefully and pay attemtion to their emotions, of needing inside, stress, etc)
I kept my little silkie chickies that were about a couple weeks old in the barn in my feed room, I would let them roam around I side generally making a mess and having a good time.

I didn't let them outside until they were over a month old, I was fortunate I was able to let them roam around horse stalls digging in the bedding, when they got cold they had a crate with heat panel to snuggle up to.

Maybe I was paranoid but I worried about them getting chilled.

I kept my little silkie chickies that were about a couple weeks old in the barn in my feed room, I would let them roam around I side generally making a mess and having a good time.

I didn't let them outside until they were over a month old, I was fortunate I was able to let them roam around horse stalls digging in the bedding, when they got cold they had a crate with heat panel to snuggle up to.

Maybe I was paranoid but I worried about them getting chilled.
Ah yeah, we did around the same age to let ours fully roam (except when they were weeks old we let them dig and such in carefully picked clean areas for a few minutes)

Ah yeah, we did around the same age to let ours fully roam (except when they were weeks old we let them dig and such in carefully picked clean areas for a few minutes)
I had forgot how active chicks can be, these day+ old ones are on the go, even the one really tiny silky X that was born last, though wobbly she comes out eats with the rest, even tried to eat bits of the Croissant I shared with Mama, who decided babies needed to try it also - she broke it up into tiny pieces for them, for a first time mama she sure is doing well!

Only one of my chickies is drinking though, I dipped the others beaks in the water but they are having none of it! When should I start worrying about this? I am not keeping water in the crate right now, but will this afternoon when I get the larger crate. Meanwhile I am checking on them about every 30 min... I work in the office, check the chicks (code for play with them haha), go back to work.... check the chicks :) :) and so it has been going all morning!

They'll drink. I'd get water in there asap. Just make sure you either use a shallow or nipple waterer.
Yep they r now all taking water. A bit of a relief seeing that even the teeny one knows to drink!.

Now I am just worried about the hen, she won't drink, but is eating some mash I make for her. She won't leave the nest at all...

I had forgot how active chicks can be, these day+ old ones are on the go, even the one really tiny silky X that was born last, though wobbly she comes out eats with the rest, even tried to eat bits of the Croissant I shared with Mama, who decided babies needed to try it also - she broke it up into tiny pieces for them, for a first time mama she sure is doing well!

Only one of my chickies is drinking though, I dipped the others beaks in the water but they are having none of it! When should I start worrying about this? I am not keeping water in the crate right now, but will this afternoon when I get the larger crate. Meanwhile I am checking on them about every 30 min... I work in the office, check the chicks (code for play with them haha), go back to work.... check the chicks :) :) and so it has been going all morning!
Ah! yes! Baby chicks are FAST runners. Glad everything is going well :)

Yep they r now all taking water. A bit of a relief seeing that even the teeny one knows to drink!.

Now I am just worried about the hen, she won't drink, but is eating some mash I make for her. She won't leave the nest at all...
I'm sure she'll figure it out, too, but you might be able to put food and water within her reach.

Back
Top Bottom