Day old chick, can they eat this?

Pics
I'm sure she'll figure it out, too, but you might be able to put food and water within her reach.
I Have been but she doesn't take anything, stay I same spot/ position. I tempted her with some homemade mac n cheese which she took a few bites of...

I noted she also had a green smelly mushy poop where she was nesting, I cleaned it out before the chickies could get in it.

Im sure the mamas doing great! Just make sure mama has some me-time every now and then !
Every time I try to get her off the nest she freaks out, this morning I plopped the babies into an empty kleenex box and put it down beside her so she could poop, which she did. But then she became quite agitated and was trying to make a nest on the ground calling to her chicks who decided to escape the box and make a run for it. It was pure mayhem!

And of course the weather here decided to turn cold, so I don't want to leave the wee ones out too long (about 1 minute is my max) - its about 50F but very windy - cold for me (I am a woos) so I would think freezing for a couple day old chicklets, especially that one wee silkie who is sooooo tiny. I think I will put them all into the large dog crate I have with the cozy hen heat panel to warm it up. The chicks want to run amok but mama freaks out. Seen this behaviour in my first time mares, but I only have one foal to chase after then - now its four chicks all wanting to explore!! :) They sure are cute though!

I just shared my croissant with her again which went over real well, she also shared with her babies, the other silkie scarfed back a sizable chunk before I could catch the little thief. I don't want them eating strange stuff. Then again my friend reminded me that if they were roaming outside they would be eating anything they could get their beaks on. So Miss Henny Penny won't eat her feed but is game for croissants and homemade Mac n Cheese, seems she has expensive taste!

Every time I try to get her off the nest she freaks out, this morning I plopped the babies into an empty kleenex box and put it down beside her so she could poop, which she did. But then she became quite agitated and was trying to make a nest on the ground calling to her chicks who decided to escape the box and make a run for it. It was pure mayhem!

And of course the weather here decided to turn cold, so I don't want to leave the wee ones out too long (about 1 minute is my max) - its about 50F but very windy - cold for me (I am a woos) so I would think freezing for a couple day old chicklets, especially that one wee silkie who is sooooo tiny. I think I will put them all into the large dog crate I have with the cozy hen heat panel to warm it up. The chicks want to run amok but mama freaks out. Seen this behaviour in my first time mares, but I only have one foal to chase after then - now its four chicks all wanting to explore!! :) They sure are cute though!

I just shared my croissant with her again which went over real well, she also shared with her babies, the other silkie scarfed back a sizable chunk before I could catch the little thief. I don't want them eating strange stuff. Then again my friend reminded me that if they were roaming outside they would be eating anything they could get their beaks on. So Miss Henny Penny won't eat her feed but is game for croissants and homemade Mac n Cheese, seems she has expensive taste!
Make sure not to overfeed them treats like that, as thats true, you dont want to overfeed treats. Glad to hear the chicks are doing well, mommas gonna be really protective over the babies, so probably wont leave them alone for a while! :)

Make sure not to overfeed them treats like that, as thats true, you dont want to overfeed treats. Glad to hear the chicks are doing well, mommas gonna be really protective over the babies, so probably wont leave them alone for a while! :)
Yep she pitched a fit with her sister (who is also broody) back when she was sitting on the eggs last week, had a knock-down-drag-out brawl, I had to step in and separate them! Now I keep everyone away for my sanity and hers hahaha.

This raising chicks is stressful business! I am fairly certain this will be my first and last egg to chick experience :) I am too old for this stress.....

Back
Top Bottom