1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day old chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Livinzoo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Its not spradle leg because her legs aren't apart. I've had a few of those before. But this one is stuck on her side. The left leg can move but she doesn't put any pressure on it. She does the right leg though. I would like to help her if possible, but will cull if need be. She just lies on her side. Thanks for any help.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry I can't help, but I'll bump your post so maybe someone else sees it!

3. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Well I read that the tendon might be out of place so I straightened the leg and tried to massage it into place. But the babe down and low and behold she can walk!!!

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think I have that exact same problem with one of my new chicks. S/he is now 6 days old -- the elbow (or knee) joint is very swollen. We've tried to rub it in place but with no luck. So far she has been able to get around by hopping on her one good leg and using her wings...not the best method but seems to be working for her.

5. honeyofahen

honeyofahen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Texas
    We had one like this...I wish I had known about the tendon thing. She would only eat and drink if I was holding her. I think she got smothered by the other chicks because we found her dead one morning:(.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Crystal, glad she's doing well. The way they are cramped up in those eggs, it's a wonder any of them can straighten up and walk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by