Day Old Chick Can't Walk *pictures*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thatduckguyy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    It wont eat and it chirps all the time. I think its because its frustrated because it can't walk.. Eitehr that or because it is the only one who hatched, i have a mirror a stuffed animal and a mophead for it to hide in and it still tweets liek crazy.

Anyways its legs kind of hang forward and its stomach looks big maybe its legs or too weak? Maybe splayed legs? Take a look:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Those pics are VERY hard to see any details in. I recommend dropper feeding the babe some water with poly-vi-sol (no iron). I add a dropper full in 1/4 cup of water. Don't try to put the water into his mouth. but let a drop of the water touch his beak and he will take in it. Sometimes leg problems can be vitamin related.

4. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    Hard to see in the pictures. How old? Is it eating and drinking?

5. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    Sorry, now see in thread description "day old" . Try getting it to eat and drink like nurse_turtle said to see if it can get some strength.

6. Asweet23

Asweet23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Great Plains
  7. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Sorry i was out, I am using my old webcam so the quality isnt great. Polyvisol? I guess ill google it and see

8. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Its not eating or drinking at all, its only been a day though i've heard that some dont eat till day 3

9. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]

Get an eyedropper and drip a drop at a time onto the chick's beak. If you can't find poly-vi-sol at the drugstore, the feed store should have packets of sav-a-chick that you mix up a gallon at a time. If it won't take the drops, try putting the corner of a wash cloth into the vitamin water and place the cloth up to the chicks beak. Sometimes they will suck it out of the cloth better then drops till they gain some strength. Now for the possible splayed leg,the link by Asweet23 is a great place to go for info on splayed leg and treatment. I had a Brahma chick hatch 3 weeks ago that my husband wanted to put down. She had splayed leg and he didn't want her to suffer. She was a fighter! I used a wide bandage(band aid) and wrapped it around the little ones legs the width of the gauze on the pad. 2 days later that chick pulled it's feet apart to pop off the bandage and it has been running around non-stop since! Good luck with your baby. Keep us posted.

10. Asweet23

Asweet23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Great Plains
    how is it doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by