Day Old Chick Cant Walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigspringshatchery, Jul 31, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    One of my RiR chicks that hatched yesterday cant walk. It just lays there. If it tries to stand it chirps loud and looks like its jumping. Also its wings are spread out. it has been lile this since the min it was born. So i dont think it could be spradle leg could it?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I wasn't sure what to say about this but I did do a quick search and found something similar:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0314251524578.html

Maybe it just needs a little extra help getting food and water. If you go with some supplementing like they talk about on this link, and I'm referring to the brewer's yeast specifically (a good source of Vit. B), make sure you get the right kind. Don't use the quick rise yeast, for instance. There was a discussion about yeast here in the last day or two. You might want to do a search here or wait for a recommendation. There has also been some discussion about Vitamin B supplementing in general.

I did have a chick become wobbly at 2-3 weeks and I changed the feed to make sure it was a good chick starter.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    We had one chick that was like this out of our spring hatch. It got left behind in the nest because it was too weak to follow the hen and its siblings out. We took it to the vet fearing spraddle leg; but the vet said it was just weak because it was so newly hatched. We kept it warm, offered it mashed up hard boiled egg yolk (at the vet's suggestion), slipped it back under the broody that night and the next morning it was fine.

"Lucky" turned out to be a little cockerel, though (darn!) so we had to rehome him. He's three months old now and doing fine in his new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by