1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

day old chick can't walk

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kevs-chickadees, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    We hatched 5 little chicks yesterday and one of them seems to not be able to get its feet under it to try and stand. It's feet are always out in front and he/she can move and scoot around with them but I'm wondering if it will ever be able to walk or what we should do? Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

2. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they spread out or is it just not getting up and walking on it's legs? Could you post a pic?

It could be spraddle/splayed leg. Here's a site with some info on spraddle leg, and if you have any Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins WITHOUT iron you should give it a couple drops of those when you remove it from the incubator (unless you already have, then do it now) that will help give it energy and strengthen the legs.

3. kevs-chickadees

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:Yes thats what it is and thanks for that site. Ive never heard of or seen the Poly-Vi-Sol, where would i get it esp. if the local feed store doesnt have it? Thanks

4. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    You can get polyvisol from any drug store. I know that CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid carry it. Be sure to get it without the iron. It also stains clothing so be careful when giving it to the chicks.

5. Debbienmousey

Quote:^ Ditto

We recently had a Silkie chick with spraddle leg (about 3 weeks ago) and we used the band aid method. It can be really frustrating at first, even with 2 people, trying to get the band aid on so that it will stay! We ended up putting one half of the band aid on so that the pad in the center is facing the front and then we put the other half on so that the pad is facing the back of the chick. He got it off the first night with just a single band aid half so that's why we did it double duty. Definitely for the first hour he will bobble and fall all over the place. Don't worry though! He will eventually (just about 1-2 hours of having the brace on) get the hang of walking with it. Just be careful if you're leaving the water dish in the brooder with him. You may want to separate this chick and another one from the others, and only put the water dish in when you're supervising them until the chick regains his balance and can walk good with the brace on, or depending on what you're using as a waterer only fill it a little bit. They say the chick's legs can be fixed in as little as 1-2 days, and I believe it if it's caught early enough. But we left the brace on for about a week, week and a half maybe just to be sure. My little Silkie now walks just as good as the others, and is a very happy little camper to have the brace off, lol.

Goodluck [​IMG]

6. kevs-chickadees

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Thanks for the info, I will head out to a drug store shortly. I'm guessing its ok to give all the chicks? Their water source is a bowl for now but its filled up with little rocks to minimize any spots for drowning.

7. Debbienmousey

Yep it's perfectly fine for all the chicks. All it'll do is give them a little buzz [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by