day old chick deform???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cugo18, Oct 22, 2009.

1. cugo18

cugo18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    i have a day old chick and found it born this morning and it has a crooked beak. need to know if there is anything that can be done to help it or would it be better to let it go or just let it grow that way and see if it were to last.? never had one born with a crooked beak and that was weird to see today. please if anyone can give me the best thing for the bird i would be greatful for your advise. thanks in advance.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do a search here for "cross beak" and you should find a wealth of info on how these birds fare. They often require special care and feeding. A lot depends how bad the deformity is. It is usually the result of a skull deformity, as I understand it, and sometimes there are other deformities as well.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I had a pullet with a crooked beak. The only thing I did different is give her crushed food. She needs to put her head in the top of the feed tub but otherwise she was just as big as the other pullets I have. The only thing she couldn't do was to free range. I did let her out but she couldn't pick anything up from the ground. If I would have seen she wasn't doing good I would have culled her. But as faith would have it a red tailed hawk got her. He wasn't able to pick her up but she was in shock and I couldn't bring her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by