Day Old Chick Dying? Help Please.

BlueLineClucker

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
We recently lost a nest of guinea eggs to a neighborhood dog, the eggs we saved were out under our broody chicken. She has hatched 2, one chicken, one guinea.

The chick looks ‘normal’ with the exception that it does not have the use of 1 leg. The leg is at an odd angle and the chick hobbles and hops. He eats normal and runs with the other chicks his age in our brooder.

The second chick is a guinea baby, he’s tiny, the smallest chick I’ve seen. The first day, he had his eyes open, rolly-polly around the brooder. He can’t stand well and falls over a lot. Today, I came home and found him on his back, cold, in heap of the other chicks. I picked him up and cupped him in my hands to get him warm, both of his eyes were closed and I thought he was gone. Soon, he has opened 1 eye and now makes spastic movements around the brooder. I need help with him, I don’t know what else to do to help?

Both chicks were taken from the mother. The ‘broken leg’ chick was not safe as the mother is still around the other chickens, she didn’t do well being moved by herself. The guinea baby was found outside the nest, I couldn’t put him back in and he was so tiny I was afraid he’d get smashed.

Any help would be appreciated. We arnt having much luck with our birds.

126B3514-AC60-4469-A963-A019A8D94DB7.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180417_174536.jpg
    20180417_174536.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 4
The one dragging its leg may have spradle leg ..there are lots of links on this site with pics and the legs must be taped. I'm not a guinea person..but..ive heard they r suseptable to cold. If they get to cold they get lethargic and don't eat. They will starve to death.Keep him warm. Put a few drops of nutri drench or poly baby vita sol on its beak to give it a pick up. Probly should grind the food finer so it can eat better to. I raise tiny serama..and the chick food is to big for them so I have to run it through blender to make it finer.

Update, we lost our little chick this morning. He just kept getting worse and didn’t make it though the night. Very sad.

I appreciate everyone’s advice. Hopefully, next round will go much better

Back
Top Bottom