day old chick "Gasping" or "choking"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TooManyChickies, Apr 25, 2011.

1. TooManyChickies

TooManyChickies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I got a box of day old chicks from Murray McMurray today and one of my girls (a buff orpington) is acting odd. She keeps her eyes closed (I have tried wiping them with a warm wet cottonball and she will open them once but then she closes them again). She is also tilting her head back and it looks like she is gasping or choking - opening and closing her beak. She also does not chirp and isn't as active or lively as the others. I did see her poop - and that looked normal. Any ideas?
    Sorry the picture is sideways.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. TooManyChickies

Apr 25, 2011
    The gasping could be panting, but she can walk away from the heat lamp if she wants to and none of the other 25 chicks are doing this. She is also very small compared to the others.

3. countrychick14

countrychick14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Is she drinking on her own? Did you make up some sugar water mixture for her? I had a delivery from Murry Mcmurry in early March. I had 7 dead when they arrived, 3 were extremely sick. Only 1 out of the 3 made it. I fed her sugar water gently with an eyedropper. Sadly the other 2 died the next day. I hope she gets stronger. You can also mix the sugar water with their feed to make a soupy mixture, its messy, but they love it. I wish you luck!

4. TooManyChickies

Apr 25, 2011
    She does drink on her own, and I did mix some sugar in with thier water, but I will try some extra sugary water in a dropper for her. Thanks for the advice! She is my only girl - the rest of the chicks are my meat birds so I am really praying she pulls through.

5. countrychick14

countrychick14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Bless he heart. I hope she make it too! My one girl who made it acted really tired for awhile, but then picked up in the evening. I tried to not let the others wallow her.I fed her a couple of drops of the sugar water about every 20 minutes. I got her to eat some of the soupy mix too. How long has she been acting like this? Did you just get them this morning? Just out of curiosity, have you ever ordered from Murry Mcmurry before? I wish you luck!

6. TooManyChickies

Apr 25, 2011
    I got them yesterday morning and I didn't notice her doing that until around 3. I could have just missed it becuase there were a lot of chicks all together before my sister came to pick up her 1/2 of the order. This is my first Mcmurray order. Out of the 75+ birds we ordered one arrived dead, I lost one of my meat birds today and then I have my week weezy little girl. I don't think thats bad for being mailed. Last year I just ordered from out feed store but this year it was cheaper to go with McMurray.

I put some feed in sugar water in an old medicine syringe and let it get mushy and am giving her some ever 15 minutes or so and am trying to keep the others from squishing her. I was thinking about seperating her but I don't think that would help. I think thats all I can do other than wait and pray.

7. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    awww poor lil chickie, I would keep her separate from the others for sure

8. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    What is a chickens eye content? similar to dogs? if it is, then try normal saline solution (the kind for contact lense wearers, but not the protein remover kind) could she have been pecked in the eye maybe? maybe an eye ointment if this is an injury.
    Donna in branson

9. TooManyChickies

Apr 25, 2011
    Much to my surprise she was alive an well this morning WITH HER EYES OPEN! She still looks weak and is so small compared to the others, but she is still alive.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats good news! if the others are stepping on her you could put her and 1 other chick together for a couple of days till she gets stronger. then she'd have a pal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by