Day old chick holding head down

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys as you all know i had my first hatch this weekend. Everyone is doing great except for two. These two both have spraddle leg and the silver one has curled feet on top of that. I have those issues doctored up. But they are not very active and dont seem to be eating and drinking as much as the others so seem very weak. The showgirl is also holding its head down when it actually is up walking around. Anybody encountered these issues and successfully treated it? These two are the two most unique chicks from this hatch and i want to see them grow up happy and healthy! Someone please help! TIA
20190218_232335.jpg
20190218_232343.jpg
20190218_232415.jpg
20190218_232415.jpg

Poultry Nutri-drench would be a good start with this chick. It may be suffering from under-developed organs or a nutrient deficiency. I would also give it vitamin E oil 400iu once a day until it appears normal.
So I cannot find nutri-drench in stores locally but have been reading about giving chicks with wry neck poly vi sol without iron. Would this be sufficent?

Poly-vi-sol is a good supplement for chicks with suspected failure-to-thrive syndrome. However, it doesn't have enough "E" in it to treat wry neck. Neither does Poultry Nutri-drench. A chick fighting wry neck needs a minimum of 400iu per day to correct its condition. Also, a sliver of selenium is desirable to help the E become better absorbed. But a soft boiled egg can supply that. For the E, you will need to buy a small bottle of E 400iu capsules in the pharmacy aisle of the super market.

Poly-vi-sol is a good supplement for chicks with suspected failure-to-thrive syndrome. However, it doesn't have enough "E" in it to treat wry neck. Neither does Poultry Nutri-drench. A chick fighting wry neck needs a minimum of 400iu per day to correct its condition. Also, a sliver of selenium is desirable to help the E become better absorbed. But a soft boiled egg can supply that. For the E, you will need to buy a small bottle of E 400iu capsules in the pharmacy aisle of the super market.
If i feed a soft boil egg to the chicks do i need to supply grit? I know i read every where if they eat anything but chick feed they need grit but what about egg?

No grit is necessary to digest a soft boiled egg. Grit is a must for things with a cellulose content, such as fruit and veggies and hard substances such as grains, and even meal worms are safer with grit. Chick grit is the consistency of sand, by the way. People living near the ocean or by rivers have a free source. Sandy soils can often supply the right size.

No grit is necessary to digest a soft boiled egg. Grit is a must for things with a cellulose content, such as fruit and veggies and hard substances such as grains, and even meal worms are safer with grit. Chick grit is the consistency of sand, by the way. People living near the ocean or by rivers have a free source. Sandy soils can often supply the right size.
I have a ton of gravel around my place so thats what i use for my adult chickens. I will probably just sift it for the smaller stuff for the babies. also is this the oil your talking about? Just one capsule a day?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    124.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom