Day Old Chick- legs won't stretch out??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunnyCalifornia, Mar 22, 2011.

1. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    This chick just hatched today, and its not in good shape. I want to try to help it if possible.

Its legs are a big problem, they don't seem to stretch out, and the chick cannot stand. The toes are also curled, and I've made some shoes, but without the legs working, the shoes seem pointless.

Also, this poor little one seems to struggle holding its head up, but that seems to be improving a bit. I will pick up some of the vitamins that were mentioned on some other threads.

Any ideas for helping this little chick?

2. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Anybody?

I'm looking through threads, the only thing that sounds somewhat like it, is that slipped tendon, but would it be born that way? Both legs too?

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had a bantam cochin roo that took 3 days to stand and walk. He seemed really weak would sleep alot and kind of flop around on his belly legs out in front of him. I would dribble electrolye/vitamin water along his beak. I thought he would die or I would have to cull him but the 3rd day when I went to check on him he was up running and jumping like nothing was ever wrong. Sometimes some take longer then others to get their land legs. Hope this is what you are having. By the way his name is Forrest Gump

4. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Sheila, Thank you! These are my first real "hatchlings". I hope that will be the case with my little "Lucky".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by