Day old chick not on feet due to curled toes? Would a shoe help?

ilikethedesert

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Easton, CT
I have a less than 24 hour old chick that can't get up. It tries but one foot has curled toes so it house no balance. Can I make a chick shoe this young? Think it will help?

You bet you can! And the sooner you do it, the better. A shoe can be as simplistic as the end of a popsicle stick taped onto the foot with a bandaid. Just make sure to wrap the toes in a straight position. Your chick will probably start zipping around almost immediately after you wrap it.

Leave it on your chick for a week, checking every few days if it needs re-wrapping. Viola! Beautiful straight toes for a fraction of the price of a pedicure!

Is adhesive from a bandais- or tape- as I've read going to hurt it's little feathered feet? It's a silkie with about a million toes!

It might hurt a little to have it's feathers pulled out, but those grow back. And quite frankly, slowly starving to death because it can't walk would hurt more.

good point. It still can't walk and one of it's legs- the curly toe one is forward more than the other. Do I need a bandaid brace? I taped the foot last night and it can now sit upright on its hanches. but falls over when it tried to get around- or it walks in circles.

Back
Top Bottom